Qureator, a San Diego-based biotech company, is pleased to announce the closure of a $15M Series A funding round led by HG Initiative along with other VCs. Formerly known as Curiochips, Qureator’s focus is the creation of novel platforms and high-throughput disease models for drug discovery and precision medicine. The just-closed funding will help Qureator accelerate its research activities and expand into different disease areas. Animal studies have been used extensively over the years to model the effect of medicinal compounds on the human body. However, animal models often do not translate clinically although they add significant costs to the overall drug discovery process. Designed to recapitulate the complexity of tissue microenvironments, Qureator’s Microphysiological Systems (MPS) will be used to establish disease models that closely mimic the in-vivo environment. As such, these models promise to be much more predictive clinically.
Qureator’s Curiochips Microfluidic Technology will be a gamechanger as it allows for:
- Investigation of the underlying biology of disease
- Establishment of disease models based on patient-derived samples
- Accurate prediction of clinical responses and patient stratification
- Target validation in 3D co-culture conditions
- High-throughput screening for new drugs or combo agents with existing drugs
- Identification of biomarkers to help with clinical studies
Solutions created by Qureator have already made a significant impact in different fields including:
- Oncology: 3D co-culture models to mimic the complexity of the tumor microenvironment (TME)
- Vascular Biology: Ex-vivo vascular systems to mimic the dynamic processes of angiogenesis and vasculogenesis
- Blood-Brain-Barrier: 3D co-culture models to mimic the barrier integrity of epithelial and endothelial cells
- Others: 3D co-culture models to mimic the pathological conditions in tissues of interest
Qureator CEO Kyu Baek studied Electrical Engineering and was extensively involved in biomedical engineering research during his Ph.D. Inspired by his wealth of industry experience and knowledge, he created a startup dedicated to transforming the lives of patients by discovering new drugs through engineering and physics.
Discussing the significance of the successful Series A funding round, Kyu stated:
“Qureator now has the financial means to forge ahead in using our cutting-edge MPS platform to establish predictive disease models that will enable the discovery of potent and efficacious new drugs. We aspire to help patients with currently unmet medical needs with drugs discovered with these innovative MPS-based models and assays.”
About Qureator: Qureator Inc., a biotech company, focuses on developing high-throughput platforms for novel disease models in areas of high unmet medical needs. The company utilizes its unique Microphysiological Systems (MPS) known as Curiochips that enable our investigators to perform co-cultures with multiple cell types in 3D making possible high-throughput screenings for biomedical research and drug discovery.
About HG Initiative: HGI is an impact business company that seeks to solve the problems facing humanity with sustainable and innovative business ideas. The company executes impact investments based on the four core values of 'data-centric, optimization, future preparedness, and inclusiveness'.